Saturday, 1 February 2014

D.I.Y Oil Facial Cleanser


In my last post I talked about face products I can't do without and included my DIY oil facial cleanser. My skin can get really dry and my pores get clogged-- this method will also help with oily skin because it replaces the moisture your skin loses through the day so your pores don't produce excess sebum (or oil). It is also great for sensitive skin.

I also love it because it is a cheap, easy and clean product to use on my skin. I try to use organic products (and food!) as much as I can, and though this isn't necessarily organic (you would have to use oil that is specifically organic) it has a lot less junk and chemicals in it than most moisturizers I'm sure.


What you need:

Olive oil (for moisture)
Castor oil (for cleaning dirt out of pores)
Tea Tree oil (to help clean up and prevent any bumps, optional)

How to make it:

I use one part castor oil to three parts olive oil and a small drop of tea tree oil or no tea tree at all. This just means if I use 3 teaspoons of olive oil I will use one teaspoon of castor oil. However, if you have oily skin, you may want to use three parts castor oil to one part olive oil. Those with normal skin can use a one-to-one ratio (one part castor and one part olive oil). 

This will make you enough cleanser to last a few times.

What to do:

Combine all the ingredients in a container or mason jar-- whatever you plan on storing it in and give it a quick stir with a spoon. (This is probably not the most sanitary but...) I dip my fingers in and get a bit of the oil mixture and apply it all over my face and gently massage it in. Then, soak a rag in hot water (as hot as you can stand), squeeze it out just so it's damp and place it over your face, leave it on for about a minute, re-soak the rag and squeeze it out again and place it over your face for another minute (this is all to "steam" your face or open your pores to allow for the oil to best clean and moisturize). Re-soak and squeeze out the rag and gently wipe any excess oil off your face. And you're done! 

If you don't want to use the hot rag method you can boil water and pour it into a bowl, lean over it and place a towel over your head to keep the steam it. Also, Conair (and I'm sure other brands too) makes a face steamer which is also fine to use. Secret Life of a Bio Nerd has a great youtube video on how she does the oil cleansing method-- check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vpJe2vFMk

I learned about this cleansing method on these great blogs, be sure to check them out for more info on the method!

http://mylittlecelebration.com/the-oil-cleansing-method-how-to-minimize-blackheads/

http://theartofsimple.net/oil-cleansing-method/



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment