Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Cloth Diapering

I'm sure from the title you're probably thinking "has she lost her mind??!!"--well, I haven't...or maybe I have, but here's why we've decided to cloth diaper along with some great tips and tricks I've learned in my research.

My husband and I had been making smarter decisions about what was going in and on our bodies before I discovered I was pregnant. Once I learned I was pregnant, of course I started researching organic alternatives to all the chemical laden, harsh products that are made for babies. All of this research led me to the idea of cloth diapering. I had never even considered cloth diapering and just the thought of it freaked me out because I had no idea how easy and simple it could be. When I learned of all the harsh chemicals used in typical disposable diapers it was enough for me to open my mind a bit to cloth diapers (not to mention the amount of money you save cloth diapering!) and the fact that they can be used for future babies is an added bonus (and money saver).

Now, I am speaking from an inexperienced stand point because my little man has not arrived yet so I've not tried them out personally, but I do plan on keeping you guys updated on how things go with the cloth diapering.

Here are some pros and cons of cloth diapering:

Pros:

  • Potentially saves you hundreds of dollars-- compared to what you'd spend on disposables
  • You are able to save them and use them for future children
  • (I have read) Leaks and blow outs are less likely to happen
  • Diaper rash is less likely to happen
  • They're super cute! (Common, you know those colors and patterns are tempting!)
  • No harsh chemicals up against baby's skin
  • (If you get one size fits all) The diapers grow with baby so you aren't constantly buying more
  • No late night diaper runs

Cons:

  • More laundry (if you don't normally wash every 2 days)
  • Have to use specific laundry detergent and diaper rash cream that are safe for cloth diapers
  • Can be pricey (up-front but will save you money in the long run)
  • The one size fits all diapers don't always fit newborns properly, leaving you finding an alternative diapering method (buying NB sized cloth diapers/using disposables) until baby can fit properly into the one sized
  • You have to pack a sufficient amount of diapers when traveling and if you will be gone for an extended period of time you need access to a washer

For me, it was very easy to get around most of the cons. I plan on making the baby's detergent and diaper rash cream anyway and just found cloth diaper safe ones. These are my favorite cloth diaper safe baby rash cream and detergent:

Diaper rash cream - I plan on trying this same recipe however, I don't plan on using the essential oils.

Luckily, these DIY recipes are very cost savvy and will end up being cheaper than store bought diaper rash cream and detergent, especially organic ones (BIG thumbs up!). 

We will be washing every 2 days to keep our diapers in the best condition but we will hang dry them to cut costs. This is also great if there is any staining-- you can lay the diaper to dry in the sun.

For our cloth diapers we have chose Bum Genius 4.0 one-size diapers. I've heard nothing but good reviews about Bum Genius and they seem to be the most simple and convenient for our lifestyle. They are a bit more pricey than other brands but the convenience is a big factor for us. They come with everything you need (cover and 2 inserts) and minimal assembly. They also grow with your baby- from  7 to 35+ lbs. We love that we won't have to worry about diapers with future babies as well because these can be reused.

For dirty diaper storage until we are ready to wash, I plan on using the Ubbi diaper pail with a cloth liner. Keeps the stink at bay (his clothing will be in a separate laundry hamper) and the cloth liner is a great way to save (no re-buying disposable bags/liners) and I can just toss it in the wash with the diapers (and his cloth wipes!). For the messier diapers, I plan on rinsing or wiping off any mess before tossing it into the pail to help prevent staining.

Any mommies out there who have experience with cloth diapers? Any tips/tricks? I'd love to hear your feedback!

I've got a bunch of tutorials I will be posting once it gets closer to time for the little man to arrive (May!) including his diaper rash cream and cloth diaper safe detergent, so keep an eye out!


post signature

2 comments:

  1. i've always thought I just couldn't do cloth ones, but the pros are so so good! still using disposables but might make the switch if baby #2 were to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing! I used to cringe at the idea of cloth diapering but the savings are just too good! Plus, now that we have all our cloth diapers (we got 24) it puts my mind at ease that I won't run into a panic moment, going for a change and realizing we've got little disposables left and have to sprint to the store to grab more! It's also easy for when baby # 2 comes, diapers (and wipes, because we're using cloth wipes too) are already crossed off the list of things to get.

      Delete